22 JULY 2011 - A THANK YOU
We have had time to get a bit of rest now, have a bath and clean up, see our families, eat some decent food and reflect on the breathtaking adventure behind us. We had hoped to update the website with photos and text along the way, telling the story as we went but we didn't bank on the foulness of the weather for late June, the lack of easy access to the internet in the remote places we visited, and the amount of time we would have to spend in the saddle. The other problem was the sheer volume of material and photos on a daily basis with often more than one group experiencing interesting stuff in different places at the same time. We met a larger number of people and scooterists than we expected and many acts of kindness but all helped us, supported us, or just cheered us on. So we have now updated the website with photos in the gallery, and the August article for the Scootering magazine will be available from 28th July. There will also be an LSD movie coming soon once we've had a chance to collate all the clips and photos.
The final destination at Beachy Head was an emotional affair with the 12 riders who started all finishing and being photographed by the local news media along with the many scooterists who had gathered from Kent, Sussex and even further afield to enjoy the homecoming ride. Jan Francis the actress joined us for this celebration and the Patron of the Charity, Alastair, gave us a congratulatory speech. One scooter was taken out with terminal engine failure but was towed the last two miles into Lands End so the rider could finish, one was put out of action for a day during the ride, several ended up on the bench at Dumfries Scooters, Scootopia and other places, and others all ended rattling and with many defects. The final mileage reading was 1964 after the furthest away got home.
We take our hats off to everyone who played a part, riders, scooterists, ride-support, back-office, media, those that put on do's, donated a little cash, or long suffering families of the Riders.
LSD would like to thank:
The LSD End to Enders: Bex Washington, Shaun Washington, Al ‘Jocknee’ Lee, Richard Parsons, Karl Beeston, Kai Elliott, Mark Traverse, Gary Firmager, Big Steve Wareham, Steve “Marmite” Marshall, John & Sue Kavanagh and Mick, supported by Kelvin Howland and backroom support from Suze Daly.
Tucano Urbano for providing tough scooterist clothing, FigJam Tattoo, TASS, Go! Motorcycles, ATOMS, and all businesses that sponsored or supported LSD itself or individual riders.
United Couriers for stepping in and moving the scoots to Inverness
Dumfries Scooters, Glasgow Lambretta, ESP Scooter Restorations, Scootopia & Allstyles for donating time, spare parts and expertise
Ian, Tammi, Pip, OLAS Boss Sound System, and WSM Rugby Club
Franchis campsite, Invercoe campsite, Pen-y-Bont Tan Hill Inn & Nutty Boy Kevin from Parkdean Sandford for discounts & donations
Millennium Tyres of Abergavenney for tubeless tyre repairs, late on a Friday
Kent Autistic Trust for the minibus ride to Luton airport
The Troglodytes, Westcoasters, Buchan Coasters, Woolybacks, Aces High, Real Deal, SK Saints, Pete and the Portsmouth crowd and anybody else who rode with us, cheered us or supported us
This is not the end of LSD, as you can see the Long Scoot Touring Association has now been launched and we hope like-minded individuals will join us as associates interested in this added dimension to Scootering and possibly even join us on the next tours that we have planned.
Meridian Tonight will be at Beachy Head at 3pm on the 28th June to cover the MASS PHOTOSHOOT.
Why not take the afternoon off work and pop along?
See Details on Facebook Event Page
FOLKESTONE SKABOUR FESTIVAL 2/3/4 SEPT 2011
You may have enjoyed SKABOUR 2010, this year it's back bigger and better. Take a look - you simply cannot miss this event - Sponsored by Trojan Records.
We are proud to announce that the LSD event is being sponsored by the Premier retailer of Scooter and Motorbike clothing and accessories, Tucano Urbano. Thanks to Andrea and the Team over at Tucan Urbano, they are providing hi-spec clothing for three of our riders to see them through the trials and challenges of 1664 miles across the UK.
'For people on two wheels: everyday, in every season and in every situation. For more than 10 years, we have produced clothing and accessories for scooter and motorbike users.'
Look them up at their website - some great clothing and accessories!
WHAT'S NEXT (AS AT 16th MAY)?
Well it really isn't that long to the start of this epic but before then we've got a stall at The Gravesend Sentinels Parts Fair on May 22nd, The bar Italia Buckingham Palace Run on Saturday May 28th, The Margate Meltown on Bank Holiday Weekend May 30th, The Sid James Rally weekend of 3rd June, Send off do at The Drum Ashford 5th June, and of course the Departure Rally at The White Cliffs Weekender 10th June. You can find details of all these on other pages of this website.
Once the ride starts, we have a number of things lined-up along the way:-
FRIDAY 24th JUNE 2011 - WESTON-SUPER-MARE RUGBY CLUB - A NIGHT OF SCOOTERISTS SOUNDS
THE LONGSCOOTDOWN & THE SCHEMING BITCHES SC PROUDLY PRESENT.......
Tam's Back and Movin on Up Charity Do
FRIDAY 24th JUNE 2011
A NIGHT OF SCOOTERISTS SOUNDS
NORTHERN SOUL & SKA
DJ's Gary OLAS BOSS SOUNDS SYSTEM
DJ's ROSS, PIP
£5 on door
All money raised will be donated to:-
The Scleroderma & Find a Voice
TUESDAY 28th JUNE 2011 - POMPEY ESCORT OF THE LONG SCOOT DOWN
Pete Davies has organised an escort for the 'Long scoot down' riders From Pompey to Brighton (See details on Facebook event Page)
We come off at J12 M27, then re-enter the A27 after stopping off at Point 'B' on the map - the Maccie D's where the Wednesday rideouts start. We assume a 10am at this meeting point. Allowing for the inevitable 30 minutes overrun for fags/fuel/latecomers and general milling around, we would need to be rolling from the meeting point by 10:30 am at the latest, although 10am would be preferable as we plan to stop in Brighton and at Beachy Head.
TUESDAY 28th JUNE 2011 - MASS PHOTOSHOOT AT BEACHY HEAD
WE NEED YOU.... on Tuesday 28th june at around 2.30pm we have a major photo shoot planned to mark the end of our 1664 mile ride across Great Britain. Local news teams will be contacted and photographers have been approached to come and help us celebrate the home stretch of our ride.
We would like as many scooterists and scooters there with us as possible!!
If you would like to ride some of the way with us, have a photo with us etc wed love to see you there. Its a Tuesday so you will have to book time off work etc. Wed love to see as many of you there as possible.
a couple of actors from Quadrophenia have been invited too.... news to follow on that!! Photo will be included in the photos and write up we have been asked to do by Scootering Magazine!
See you at Beachy Head!!! Ride safe xxx
See Details on Facebook Event Page
LSD2 - THE SOUTH COASTAL RIDE-OUT - 15 MAY
Another excellent warm up to Long Scoot Down saw a MASSIVE turnout on the Coastal Ride of the South Coast . This started at Rye, taking in Battle, Brighton, Eastbourne, Pevensey, Bexhill, and Hastings. We rode into Brighton for a Fish & Chips stop by the Pier and by the time we parked up we had about 70 scooters ready for the jaunt to Beachy Head. We would like to say a very warm thanks to all the clubs and individual scooterists that supported us including The Aces High Scooter Club from Brighton, The Coffin Dodgers from Eastbourne, 1066 Saxons from Hastings, a259SC from Hastings, Bexhill, Eastbourne, The South Kent Saints, The Real Deal SC and many others
SCOOTER PREPARATION NOTES FOR RIDERS
THE 2nd RETRO FAIR IN FOLKESTONE
An eclectic selection of retro & vintage stalls stocking ladies & gentlemens clothing, accessories, jewellery, memorabila & homeware. Plus 1940's & 50's music for your listening & dancing pleasure. Open to the public 11.30am-5pm both days. Situated at The Southcliff Hotel on Folkestone's historic Leas, the first Retrofair was an immediate success & because of this & the amazing feedback, this is going to be a two day event!
All for just £1 per day!
EVENING EVENT - RETRO DANCE IN SUPPORT OF LSD
Evening Dance at the Retro Fair Sat 7th May 7.30pm till midnight. This is in support of LSD, it will be a night of retro music from the sixties and seventies, featuring northern soul, motown, and ska/bluebeat reggae. Just £5 admission. All welcome for a really friendly charity night. DJ Danny F and Ska / reggae from OLAS BOSS Sound System.
A great retro night for a great retro event.
LSD COVERAGE IN THE MEDIA
- Thanks to Dom King of for covering the LSD ride, starting with an interview with LSD riders at The Whitecliffs Weekender 10-12 June, occasional phone in's from the team, and an interview at Camber Sands on return.
- Thanks to Webbo of who will be shouting out for the riders each and every day on our ride. They will be telling everyone our location, how were doing and updating listeners, as well as encouraging listeners to dip into their pockets.
- Watch out for an LSD press release in June issue available 21 May, with a full feature in the August issue.
'VOICES OFF!' DAY AT St. ANSELMS SCHOOL, CANTERBURY
On March 1st, 4 pupils at St Anselms RC school in Canterbury raised £122.68 for LSD through sponsorship of a "voices off" day, during which they communicated at school using "Find a Voice" communication devices only. Thanks to Chimjika, Tsitsi, Sophie and Evie.
PANIC OVER! TRANSPORT UP SORTED!
Many of you will have been following the problems we had been having with the Logistics arrangements to take our 13 scooters to Scotland for the Long Scoot Down, with the previous lot pulling out after they put our bill up and the charity couldn't cover it and make money for the cause.
Well we have some fantastic news that its all sorted out, thanks to debbie at for putting us onto www.unitedcourier.co.uk. Not only have they stepped in to do this for us but they're doing it for HALF the price and all to benefit this worthy cause. Take a look at their website, top logistics operation, top people.
ON THE TV......
15th March - EVENT UPDATE
FUNDAYS COMING UP
Find A Voice have a number of Pub Fun Days and Activities to raise funds.
- 17th April - Family Fun Day - The Singleton Barn, Ashford, Kent, TN23 4TY
Not long now till our charity family fun day... we have some great raffle prizes for the kids raffle, some great SKA music being played all day by OLAS BOSS SOUNDS, inflatable fun for both adults and kids and loads more planned!!
Bring the whole family and enjoy a relaxed day, a few drinks, a dance n entertainment for the kids!! what more could you ask!! see ya there xxx..
- 5th June - Family Fun Day - The Star Inn, East Hill Ashford.
- 31st July - Bungee Jumping - The Singleton Barn, Ashford, Kent, TN23 4TY 12:00 - 23:30
HERITAGE TRANSPORT SHOW & AUCTION, DETLING, KENT - 9th APRIL
We have the kind offer of a free stall at the Heritage Transport Show & Auction, taking place at Detling Showground,nr Maidstone, Kent on April 9th.
............"Following the success of last years event, the Kent Showground will be hosting a one day event for those interested in vintage vehicles on Saturday 9th April 2011 from 10am – 4pm.
The day will include a display of vehicles, guest speakers, competitions and related trade stands.
Each exhibit will allow two people free entrance into the event. Additional tickets can be purchased on the gate for £5 per person (under 12’s go free). We look forward to seeing you either as an exhibitor or as a visitor at the Heritage Transport Show and Auction on Saturday 9th April 2011......"
We already have a number of exhibitors lined-up but please ask if anyone else would like to show their Lammy or Vespas... we have room for around 20 scoots. If anyone wants info please message Richard Parsons or send a contact form from the mainpage of the website.
Scooters for display need to be on site by 09:30, and cannot be removed until after 16:30
14th March - LOGISTICS UPDATES
- The flights are booked! There's no turning back now!
- Booked on the 13:50 flight to Inverness on the 18th June. All riders now travelling together apart from Sue and Jon who will be taking the support vehicle north.
- REMEMBER: TO TAKE PHOTO ID OR YOUR PASSPORT. Airline & Airport won't let you fly without it!
- Kent Austistic Trust have supplied Minibus and Driver to take us to Luton Airport at around 10am from Ashford.
- Scooters will be loaded onto the Lorry on Thursday 16th June - so keep it free or arrange delivery of your scooter to TBC
- The accomodation & revised Route details are available Here. Note The ride now starts from Inverness bound for JoG - This is Day 0, then from there south on Day 1.
9th March - FUND RAISING UPDATE
Brilliant! The Brighton Rock Showing at the Carlton Cinema raised nearly £800. Massive thanks to The Carlton Cinema, Lea from The Pirates for organising this. The Comedy Night also raised nearly £200. Thanks to Big Steve, Steve Bradshaw, and The Britannia. So in one weekend £1,000 was raised and in total we have raised £6,851 so far for the Charity. Such a big thank you to everyone that has done their bit so far.
SUPPORTERS & SPONSORS COME FLOODING IN
We just can't believe the support we are getting from all over the country. See the Sponsors & Supporters pages which we frequently update. If YOU want to get on here just drop us a line and we'll discuss what you can do to support us.
BUY LSD MERCHANDISE & MEMORABILIA - SUPPORT THE CHARITY
We have lots of LSD branded memorabilia, such as badges, keyrings, legsheild banners, tee shirts, mugs, stickers, lighters. See the LSD for Sale page to find out how to buy small value items which will directly benefit the Find a Voice charity.
LSD01 Sunday 6th March to Rye from White Horse in Ashford, starting 12 midday.
LSD02 As a warm up to Long Scoot Down come along and join in on a Tour of Kent - Scooter Rideout all around Kent - 27th March
Starting off from the Oasis Cafe on the A259 in Old Romney at 9:30am and then going off to Folkestone, Dover, Deal, Sandwich, Margate, Faversham, Sittingbourne, Chatham Docks, Maidstone, Battle, Hasting, Rye and back to Old Romney (or home). Approx 180 mile. A small donation to the Long Scoot Down Charity would be great for taking part. See Photos in the Gallery
LSD03 As a warm up to Long Scoot come along and join in on a Coastal Ride of the South Coast. 15th May
Starting at Rye, taking in Battle, Brighton, Eastbourne, Pevensey, Bexhill, and Hastings. This is approximately 90 Miles. At Brighton we'll have a stop for Fish & Chips by the Pier by about 12 midday, returning to Hastings around 4pm. Full Details of Route and leg times will be confirmed shortly. We are currently looking at Mid May either 14/15 or 21/22 depending on what else is going on and when Hastings 1066 can do an afternoon family get together.We hope may Kent Scooterists will come and join us and we are looking forward to meeting up withThe Aces High Scooter Club from Brighton, The Coffin Dodgers from Eastbourne, 1066 Saxonsfrom Hastings, as well as our good Biker friends The Brighton EasyRiders (who we think want to bring 50+ big Motorcycles along as well) - Top Stuff Boys! .
A WEEKEND OF LONG SCOOT EVENTS
LSD Brighton Rock screening 7pm Friday 4th March - at the Carlton Cinema in Westgate on Sea - where the Fabulous Quadrophenia event was held earlier in 2010 - to show Brighton Rock in aid of The Long Scoot Down.Please apply for ticket on the Facebook Page. They are also trying to arrange a Bar for the evening.
LSD Comedy Night on the Saturday 5th March in Margate - at the Britannia Pub - See Facebook Page
LSD Rideout to Rye on Sunday 6th March. - Starting from the White Horse in Ashford at 12 midday - More Details shortly - All Welcome
LSD IN THE PRESS
The press and media are now starting to take an interest in the Long Scoot Down. See the new section on the website for newspaper articles and clippings.
FUND RAISING INITIATIVES
There are lots of great fund raising ideas underway with the Riders all coming up with novel ideas to raise funds for the charity and the ride. A couple of examples are
- Steve W's comedy night in Margate
- Steve Marmite running the Brighton Marathon for sponsorship.
- Karl B's 'exfoliation' Back, wax, and the rest! And there's many more in the pipeline - stay tuned.
PHOTOSHOOT WITH JAN FRANCIS & DAMIAN GREEN
A Big Long Scoot Down thank you to Damian Green, the Minister for Immigration, and to Jan Francis for giving up their valuable time to promote the ride. Photos were taken outside "FIGJAM TATTOO'S" owned by Wayne Mills (an LSD Sponsor). These photos will soon be published in the local press, as well as a shout out on KMFM in support of our wonderful band of riders. Both Damian and Jan have been contacting celebrities such as Phil Daniels, Paul Weller, Ray Winstone, and Phil Davis to name but a few. We are hopeful we will be meeting these in the very near future with more pictures to come. Photos in the Gallery
WANT LONG SCOOT DOWN UPDATES ON YOUR PHONE?
Get updates via SMS by texting follow longscootdown to 86444 in the United Kingdom
CAN YOU HELP?
Hi all, Gary from Olas Boss sounds is looking for a cheap PA system and any lighting effects etc for his Boss Sounds Music system. If you know anyone selling one please send a message on the contact form.
ASHFORD TORNADOS FEBRUARY FANTASTIC FUN NIGHT
25th February at The Drum North Stanford. The Deccas are playing! See Events Page
- Stay tuned for news of a publicity photo shoot coming up and the possibility of a VIP or two (Jan Francis) being involved in the proceeding.
- Pyjama Pub Crawl for charity 12th Feb Ashford Town Centre. Come and join in the fun with our Pyjama pub crawl!!!! All we ask is you wear pyjamas... can handle your drink and get sponsored to pub crawl in your PJs...... message me for a sponsor form and more details!!!!! This is gonna be a fun event!!!!! you wont even need to get ready for bed af
- Hi all, badges for the Long Scoot Down are now available at £1.00 each!! All proceeds to the long Scoot Down in aid of Find a Voice!!!! If you would like one please send a stamped, addressed envelope to Rebecca Washington, Find a Voice, 49 beaver Lane, Ashford, Kent, TN23 5NU.
- On 10th Decemeber we will be hosting a Fancy Dress Pub Crawl to try and raise money towards the cost of getting our scooters to John O'Groats. If we can raise the cash ourselves the charity will not have to fork out the cash from their very limited funds!!
Everyone who is involved in the Long Scoot Down is asked to attend!! We will visit no more than 6 pubs in the town. Lets hope xmas revellers will be generous!!
- Well what a fantastic night we all had at the Scary Scooterists Ball raising funds for the ride. This was our very first charity benefit event night for the Long Scoot Down. An evening of Halloween fancy dress, DJs, a BBQ and general silly fun. Everyone got to meet the crazy riders and the rest of the team. The OLAS SC BOSS SOUND SYSTEM pumped out top SKA Trojan Bluebeat sounds and much the whole place was jumping. Lots of funds were raised towards the event and for the charity. Oh and the official theme tune announced by Gary - "Rough Rider". Photos here in the Gallery.
- Our friends at OLAS SC BOSS Sound System over in Folkestone are the official Sound System for the Long Scoot Down and are confirmed as the top DJ playing at all our Promo Fund Raising events !!!!! Gary will also be joing the riders.
- Breaking news lol.... we are now adding Beachy head to the trip.... This will be a prime photo opportunity
- Scooter / Rider Registration is now closed as at 20th October..
- On Sunday 7th Nov we will be filming a promo Video with the LSD riders!
- News flash!!!! Chelmsford SC are donating all the money from the Raffle at next years Camber rally to the Long Scoot Down!!!! A very big thank you!!!!!!!!
- A BIG Thank you to The Decca's.... they have offered to do a free charity gig for the Long Scoot Down!!! details of event to follow!!!!!!!
- Rebecca Washington says.." well guys, the ride is slowly coming together and totals 1664 miles!!!! Richard and myself have been working hard on getting the details sorted.and we have 8 riders so far..."